Norm Taylor Room/Oak Ridges Arena
Norm Taylor Room/Oak Ridges Arena
Date(s) - 13 Apr 2020
7:30 PM - 10:00 PM
postponed due to COVID-19 – to be rescheduled at a later date – Speaker – Tyler Knight (KnightVision Media) (Starting and Growing a Media Company from Scratch)
Tyler Knight, from Orillia, Ontario, is an event videographer and photographer. Tyler had his humble beginnings filming a variety of subjects including snowboarders and skateboarders. Tyler’s thirst for the industry grew as he began filming weddings and personal projects that he was passionate about. But the real evolution in Tyler’s career came when he made the switch from traditional broadcast-style video cameras to the Panasonic LUMIX GH lineup. The LUMIX cameras gave Tyler the ability to not only shoot professional looking video but also editorial grade still photos. Tyler’s reputation began to grow in the wedding video industry which allowed him to expand into live event coverage, documentary work and music videos. Tyler was one of the first content creators to work solely in 4K and deliver industry leading assets to his clients. Tyler continues to grow as an artist with Panasonic LUMIX as his brush and the world as his canvas.
Coming from a family of Entrepreneurs, Tyler always knew he wanted to run his own business, but it wasn’t until he put a camera in his hands that he knew exactly what that business would be. Starting any business is a difficult task, keeping it growing and sustainable is an even harder task, and being in the industry of Video Production and Photography is the hardest of all!
This workshop will cover the ins and outs of starting, growing and sustaining business in this ever-growing industry and through practical experiences, explain the do’s and don’ts and things Tyler would do differently if given the chance.
Tyler worked his way up from his parent’s point and shoot camera, all the way to where he is currently creating content for some major brands and organizations, while continuing to support his local community.
Tyler will also discuss is growth using Panasonic Lumix products which he was very lucky to come across early in his career. These cameras and lenses have given Tyler a sense of control and reliability that no other brand has given him in the past.
The presentation will touch on the following areas:
- Company Structure (Sole proprietorship, Partnership, Incorporation), and which structure is best suited for photography
- Insurance (Errors & Omissions, Liability, Gear, etc)
- Marketing (Self Promotion, On-Line, Social Media, Website)
- Setting Up a Website (to hire or to do it yourself)
- Media Capture Gear (choosing the right equipment for the job, whether you need to upgrade or continue using your current gear)
- Post-Production / Editing Gear (including media storage strategy, a separate drive for working with applications, and a redundant data back-up strategy)
- Logistics when travelling to job site (photo shoots and video shoots), such as backing-up data files on location
- Some real-life stories about highlights and low-lights in Tyler’s photography and videography career to date; along with lessons learned
I look forward to sharing with you all of the knowledge I’ve accumulated while growing my business and I hope I can encourage some of you to take the leap into full time media creator!