Date(s) - 30 Jun 2021
7:30 PM - 10:00 PM
Queen Street West has many photo opportunities of virtually every kind – people, street art, architecture, neon signs, storefront windows, you name it. Ontario has loosened some of the COVID protocol restrictions, patios re-opened, some retail store openings, as a result, the energy and vibe of Queen Street West has re-emerged. People are flocking to the restaurant patios! The sun sets at 9:03pm, this gives you the opportunity to photograph with natural light as well as the night sky. This will get your creative juices flowing, as well as an added bonus of challenging your technical skills photographing at night! This field trip is a good opportunity to reconnect with members as we walk and talk capturing the street life of Toronto at night.
We will be walking the Queen Street West loop, starting near Spadina & Queen, at the Green P Parking Location ID #270 at Cameron St & Queen St West, walking west to Trinity Bellwood Park and looping back to Spadina & Queen. It’s approximately a 3.5k to 4K walk.
Meet in the Green P Parking Lot ID #270 on Cameron St (it’s on the North East side of Cameron St. off of Queen St. West) Cost $6.00 an hour, or $8.00 for the evening.
Limited to 10 members (guests of members not allowed). A minimum of 5 members required for this field trip to proceed.
Registration Cost: None
COVID Protocols & Safety Considerations
- BRING a Face Mask (to be worn if Physical Distancing not consistently observed)
- BRING your own personal Hand Sanitizer (required for each participant)
- Portable Washrooms are available at Trinity Bellwoods Park.
- 2-Meters of Physical Distancing at all times (mandatory)
- Car Pooling (strongly discouraged)
- RHCC will, at all times, follow all Federal and Provincial COVID-19 guidelines and protocols. This may result in changes to or cancellation of field trips on short notice. Until the government provides clear guidance that masks are no longer required, all field trip participants will be required to bring a mask and to wear it when requested. RHCC cannot guarantee that all participants have been fully or partially vaccinated. By participating in this field trip, you accept that you are solely responsible for your health and well-being.
- In addition, any member who is feeling ill or has recently tested positive for COVID-19 or has been exposed to someone who has recently tested positive for COVID-19 should not attend the field trip.
- The Club reserves the right to ask a member to leave the field trip if these protocols are not followed.”
Camera equipment is your preference, I recommend being nimble and lightweight, only bring one fast prime lens.
- Fast prime lens (focal length 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, with a minimum aperture of F1.4, F1.8, F2.0) your preference.
- No flash required.
- No tripod required.
- Comfortable walking shoes
There are many on-line resources to learn how to shoot street photography at night, below are just a few.
RHCC Assigned Topics for 2021-2022
1. Minimalism (Emphasis on colour, objects, shapes & textures. Minimal content).
2. Black & White.
3. Long Exposures (Sharp stationary objects & blurry moving elements. Strong story).
5. High Key Minimal tonal range. Lacks deep contrasts. Almost entirely bright with a few dark areas.
6. Geometrics (Emphasis on lines, circles, spheres & triangles).
Registration:10 spaces, 1 still available
Registration is closed for this event.