Joining the Richmond Hill Camera Club
The Richmond Hill Camera Club welcomes photography enthusiasts at all skill levels. Our club offers many opportunities to gain new skills in photography, while at the same time, making new friends.
Membership provides you with access to our regular meetings, guest speakers, social events, and competitions. In addition, you will be able to join photo evaluation groups, field trips, and workshops. Novice photographers have the opportunity to obtain help from experienced photographers in order to get help in all types of photography. No experience is needed.
The Richmond Hill Camera Club
welcomes photographers at all skill levels!
A full season membership costs only $80. This is a great value, since membership offers many opportunities to learn and grow as a photographer.
Photographers interested in become a member of the club should send an email to for further information. Our membership team will be happy to get you going and welcome you to our club. Confirmation of your membership will include a registration ID and access to all areas of the club website. (Note: please check your email spam folder in case a reply email gets filtered).
Further information is available for club meetings and other events by clicking on the buttons below:
Non-members are welcome to attend a few of our meetings at a charge of $10 per meeting. If you wish to attend a meeting as a visitor, we ask that you send an email to on the day before the meeting to reserve your space.
Come join us to improve your photographic skills!
Click on the icons below to view some of our club videos.
Check out our full collection of videos on the RHCC YouTube Channel.
Registration for Past Members for the 2023-2024 club season is open for a limited time.
Please login with your membership ID to view the membership link below:
Our Current Leadership Team:
President – Eric Drumm ()
Vice President – Harvey Ash ()
Past President – Ron Mantay ()
Secretary – Kala Lakhani ()
Treasurer – Wendy Thurston ()
Competitions Chair – Philip Wong ()
Membership Director – Judi Martin ()
Member at Large – Jim Spurgeon ()
Member at Large – Barry Green ()
Location and Times
From early September until mid May the club has activities most Monday nights. We normally have two regular club meetings each month at which we have guest speakers who give presentations on various photographic topics. Each month the schedule is slightly different so it is important to check the calendar on this site. Our meetings include a social break during which we mingle, socialize and enjoy light refreshments.
Regardless of skill level, we all learn from our guest speakers, by viewing images from our club competitions and members’ portfolios and most of all, from each other.
For more details on all of the club’s activities, please read the “activities” section below on this page.
For this year’s dates, please click Events->Calendar.
Meetings and Workshops are held at Bond Lake Arena/Oak Ridges Recreation Centre, upstairs in the Norm Taylor Room. There is an elevator for the physically challenged. The meetings start at 7:30 pm and run until approximately 10:00 pm. Most workshops start at 7:00 pm. Evaluation group sessions are held in members’ homes or local meeting places, as arranged by each evaluation group.
You do not need to bring a camera or any other equipment unless it is specifically mentioned in the meeting description for that date.
Our members represent all age groups (18 & older). Their experience levels run the gamut from new-to-digital to very skilled; yet we all learn from one another.
Our club members use all types of cameras: cell phones, point-and-shoot, tablets, and a variety of digital cameras.
Photo editing is a skill learned by most members, but it is not required. More experience members are happy to provide help to novices who are eager to learn how to “post-process” their images. There is a wide variety of software tools in use. Members’ expertise in the use of these tools varies from beginner to expert. The club is a great venue to share tips and techniques.
When new members join, they are invited to share some photos so that they can be assigned an appropriate skill level. Expert members are available to help new photographers who are looking for ways to gain experience.
- Most of our meetings feature a guest speaker or a club member talking about some aspect of photography. For a list of all activities for the current year, please click Events->Calendar.
- At some meetings there is a short “Tips and Tricks” session. (For a sampling, please click Tips and Tricks).
- We schedule some “Workshop” sessions, mostly held at the club premises, for smaller groups. We require participants to register and pay an additional fee to cover our costs for these workshops.
- Evaluation Groups are small groups which meet periodically in members’ homes or local meeting places to look at and offer opinions on each others’ images.
- Special Interest Groups are run by club members who teach and share their knowledge of various photography related subjects.
- During the club season, we conduct friendly competitions for digital images and/or prints, which are judged by trained judges from outside the club. The print competitions are “photographers’ choice” of subjects. A topic is set for each of our digital competitions, and images may be entered as either “Assigned Topic”, “Pictorial” (i.e. no special topic or “photographer’s choice”) or “Natural Things” (nature-type subjects). Winners are selected in each of the Novice, Intermediate, Advanced and Masters levels. For a sampling of the placing images from recent competitions, please look at the Gallery menu.
- After each competition, one meeting is spent viewing the images and learning from the judges’ comments.
- We hold one photo essay competition each year and encourage our members to put together digital slide shows. There is also a non-competitive “story book” evening where members’ short 3 to 5 image photo stories are presented, strictly for our own entertainment.
- We also have an annual Nature Trophy Competition, which is restricted to images that meet a more rigid set of “nature” rules.
- Throughout the year, usually on weekends, we have field trips to various local places or activities of interest. Currently planned trips are listed under Events->Field Trips.
- At the final meeting of each year, in May, we have a banquet with a presentation of awards and displays of images created during the year. This evening features a great meal and a silent auction and raffles which raise funds for our a charity.
- The club owns a Spyder colorimeter and a ColorMunki which are available for members to borrow – for further information, members may log in and see the membersOnly area.
- We have an internet discussion group for the club, and a facebook group – for further information, members may log in and see the membersOnly area.