One annual Photo-essay competition is held each year.
A Photo-essay is a presentation of a selection of images on a topic and it may have an audio track.
Photo-essays may use any number of still images, and, while the emphasis is on still images, video clips are permitted.
The sound track may include narration, music and sound effects.
- The subject matter for the Photo-essay competition is unrestricted but is subject to the club’s acceptable content policy.
- No more than one essay shall be permitted from each maker.
- Photo-essays shall be no longer than 6 minutes; there is no minimum time limit. It can contain video and/or time lapse or a succession of still images in rapid movement that produce a moving picture but must NOT exceed 20% of the total runtime of the presentation.
- The maker’s name or identity must not appear on any image, in the credits, or be revealed in the narration of a photo essay.
- Entrants must submit submit a link to their Photo-essay by the due date to the Photo-essay Chair (Mark Girard) at or the Competitions Chair (). This can be done using an online service such as WeTransfer.com or DropBox (Do NOT send your file by email, since it will be too large).
- Preferred video “containers” include .mp4, .avi or .mov. Video resolution should be 1920×1080 (1080p). We do not accept .exe files for security and compatibility purposes.
- Two or more members may jointly prepare and enter a Photo-essay; joint entrants shall share the awards equally. Neither of the two members may submit a second, independent Photo-essay.
- Submission deadlines and eligibility requirements (other than subject matter) will be at the discretion of the chairperson.
The Photo-essays are judged by a panel of three accredited judges. They take into consideration elements of effective Photo-essay creation as outlined in this downloadable document, Clarification of Photo Essay Score Sheet Items
Please note that the Photo-essay competition is considered a “special” competition, so scores from this competition are not included for the end-of-the-year Awards, nor are they used to calculate Advancement Points.
Deadline for submissions: Monday, February 28, 2022 11:30 PM