One annual photo essay competition is held each year.
A Photoessay is a presentation of a selection of images on a topic and it may have an audio track.
Photo essays may use any number of still images, and, while the emphasis is on still images, video clips are permitted.
The sound track may include narration, music and sound effects.
- The subject matter for the photo essay competition is unrestricted but is subject to the club’s acceptable content policies.
- No more than one essay shall be permitted from each maker.
- Photo essays shall be no longer than 6 minutes; there is no minimum time limit.
- The maker’s name or identity must not appear on any image, in the credits, or be revealed in the narration of a photo essay.
- Entrants must submit their photo essay by the due date to the VideoEssay Chair (Mark Girard) at or the Competitions Chair (). This can be done using an online service such as WeTransfer.com or DropBox (Do NOT send your file by email, since it will be too large).
- Preferred video “containers” include .mp4, .avi or .mov. Video resolution should be 1920×1080 (1080p). We do not accept .exe files for security and compatibility purposes.
- Two or more members may jointly prepare and enter a photo essay; joint entrants shall share the awards equally. Neither of the two members may submit a second, independent photo essay.
- Submission deadlines and eligibility requirements (other than subject matter) will be at the discretion of the chairperson.
The photoessays are judged by a panel of three accredited judges. They take into consideration elements of effective photo essay creation as outlined in this downloadable document, Clarification of Photo Essay Score Sheet Items-March 2014
Please note that the Photoessay competition is considered a “special” competition, so scores from this competition are not included for the end-of-the-year Awards, nor are they used to calculate Advancement Points.
Deadline for submissions: Monday, February 28, 2022 11:30 PM
Upload Menu Page for other Categories and Competitions
If you have any technical issues or questions regarding your submissions, please email